I hope by now all of you have read my earlier email. I want to reiterate to you that safety is paramount to all of us at Westford Academy. As I stated earlier, it was a "see something-hear something and then say something" by a parent that helped us to manage this morning's activity at W.A. Next week I will be reviewing our safety protocols with the student-body through our WABC news broadcast center and then I will follow up with a letter to all of you with some important updates and some new information. It will be important for you to review the contents of this letter with your son/daughter. Thank you for trusting us today. Had we felt that there was a true safety concern at Westford Academy we would have dismissed our students from school for the weekend. More information to follow. Enjoy the weekend and try to stay dry!
WA Trustee Awards and Community Scholarships
Reminder for all graduating seniors: The WA Trustee Award and Community Scholarship application process for the Class of 2018 is underway. The firm deadline for submitting all applications will be Tuesday, March 20 at 2:00 PM. Only applications with a submitted timestamp from March 1 to March 20 will be considered. There will be no extensions or exceptions! Detailed information and instructions for applying are on the WA website, under Guidance, click on the Senior & Trustee Scholarship link.
Juniors and Junior Parents
Junior Parent Meetings have begun! The entire guidance department is looking forward to working with you and your child as he/she begins the college process. Prior to scheduling the meeting, students are required to complete the following:
- Junior Questionnaire: Each counselor emailed out an individual link for their students on their caseload. We ask that students are detailed, providing us with as much information as possible for each question. If more information is needed, the questionnaire will be returned to the student, asking them to expand upon their responses.
- Resume: Please have your child share their resume with their counselor via Google Docs. A sample resume and other resources can be found on the WA Guidance website under the College Planning tab.
- College Search: On Naviance, students should complete a college search on Naviance and save it. An instructional video is available on the WA Guidance website and the Naviance homepage.
- Add colleges to “Colleges I’m Thinking About” list in Naviance
Once these tasks are complete, please have your child reach out to his/her guidance counselor to schedule the meeting.
Junior Job Shadow Day
The deadline for students are to fill out the Job Shadow Agreement Form is March 9, 2018. The form can be found on the WA Guidance website, under “School to Careers”. Students must use their Westford Google to fill out the form.
Challenge Success Newsletter and Event
The Challenge Success teams invite you to read our March parent newsletter to learn more about Challenge Success and about some of the events and resources available to parents of all Westford students. And be sure to mark your calendars for Saturday, March 17th, as Maria Furtado, Executive Director of Colleges That Change Lives, will be joining us in the Westford Academy cafeteria at 10 AM. Colleges That Change Lives is dedicated to the advancement and support of a student-centered college search process, and Ms. Furtado will share her wisdom on finding a college that is a healthy fit for your student. See the newsletter for more details. We look forward to seeing you there!
LAST NIGHT 2018
WA Last Night 2018 is the all-night, substance-free celebration for our Westford Academy graduating seniors, which will be held on Friday, June 1st starting at 10:00 PM. With almost 100% participation, Last Night is a highlight for WA graduates. It takes over 200 volunteers and many, many generous donors to make this evening a success. Parents of all students from K to 12, are encouraged to volunteer. For more information, please see the Last Night website at www.walastnight.org
- Donations to support Last Night can be made online at www.walastnight.org/donate or please send your contribution to: WA Last Night 2017, PO Box 4079, Westford, MA 01886. All gifts are tax-deductible. It's a great time to make a donation to take advantage of the tax break!
- Last Night Needs Volunteers! Help is always needed at the event, but you can also volunteer before the event. To volunteer in any capacity, please contact Volunteer Coordinator Cindy McKeen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Film Screening of A Plastic Ocean with post Q&A
Sunday, March 4th at 5:00-7:30 PM. Location: First Parish Church United, 48 Main St, Westford.
5 Door prizes and free chip, dip and crostini (please thank our food sponsor Evviva Cucina.) Post Q&A with Mark Myles, a sustainability professional for nearly 20 years. Retired director of the education program at Toxic Use Reduction Institute at UMASS Lowell. A Plastic Ocean documents the newest science, proving how plastics, once they enter the oceans, break up into small particulates that enter the food chain where they attract toxins like a magnet. Only through the sharing of information on this issue will the public change policy on how we treat plastic. In partnership with: Westford Recycling Commission, Westford Conservation Trust, Lowell Parks & Conservation. Trust, FPCU Green Team & Social Justice & Weston Price Foundation.
Have a great weekend. Jim Antonelli