Sorry for the delay with my Friday email.
Next Tuesday, May 16th and Wednesday, May 17th sophomores will be taking the Math MCAS. Parent/Guardians: Please remind your son/daughter to get a good night of sleep and some breakfast before the assessments. On time attendance is very important for Tuesday and Wednesday. Thank you for your support.
Tuesday, May 16th, SESSION 1: Calculators ARE NOT ALLOWED
Wednesday, May 17th, SESSION 2: Calculators ARE ALLOWED (You are allowed to bring in and use a four function calculator with a square-root key).
JUNIOR COTILLION: Hello Class of 2018
We are super excited that tomorrow, Saturday, May 13th, is your Junior Cotillion! It is important to note a few specific details to help us all have great fun and a memorable experience!
- Cotillion pictures will be held on the football field prior to attending Kimball Farm. You can arrive at Westford Academy for 5:30 PM (High heels will not be allowed on the football field). Upon arrival at the WA Football Field, you will be asked to check in and you will receive a bracelet for Kimball Farm. (If there is inclement weather, the cafeteria will be prepped and ready to go as an alternate place to take pictures.)
- You must wear the bracelet so that you have access to all the activities (golf, photo booth, volleyball, and more).
- Please arrive at Kimball's by 7:00 PM. There should be signs directing traffic to park in the back of Kimball's for easier access for all of us.
- There will be trolleys and golf carts to get guests to and from the parking lot.
- The Cotillion will end promptly at 11:00 PM.
Please remember that ALL SCHOOL RULES APPLY. Even though we are off-campus, school rules still apply and will be enforced. Please come to the cotillion ready to eat, dance, golf, play volleyball, and have as much fun as you can! Finally, please remember, we will not be the only group of people at Kimball's that night. This is your chance to show the world how truly great Westford Academy and all of its students are. We know we need not remind you, but we must - please show proper respect to the grounds, Kimball's, and other guests on this great night. You want this to be a night you will remember!
If you have any questions email Mrs. Paquette or Mr. Bramanti.
Mrs. Paquette and Mr. Bramanti
Junior Job Shadow
This upcoming Tuesday, May 16, the Junior class will be participating in the annual Junior Job Shadow Day. The job shadow day is a structured career exploration day where a student follows an employee at his/her workplace to learn more about a particular occupation or industry. The goal is to help students explore a range of career options, gain information about possible future career interests, increase their understanding of connections between school and work, and to gain more insight into the day-to-day workings of a particular career. This is a wonderful opportunity for students to gain insight into a particular field, which can lead to a student's Senior Capstone Experience. Juniors who will be in school will spend the day doing career exploration tasks.
Graduation Announcements are being sold in the main office. These are not graduation tickets. They are simply nice announcements to serve as a keepsake for graduation or to send to family members. The cost is $2.00 per announcement (10 announcements per family while they last.) Please see Mrs. Langille to purchase.
Graduation Details - June 2, 2017
Graduation will be held on Friday, June 2, 5:30 PM, on the Westford Academy Alumni Field (First rain date: Saturday, June 3, 5:30 PM. Second rain date: Sunday, June 4, 2:00 PM) NO TICKETS ARE NEEDED and you may bring an many guests as you wish! Our seating is first come, first served. We rent 1,800 chairs in addition to having the use of our bleacher seats. We have plenty of handicap parking and have a handicap/elderly drop-off area. There will be people assisting with traffic flow and parking.
Remember All The Balloons Last Year?
The Westford Education Foundation is doing it again. Send your favorite WA Class of 2017 graduates shiny maroon and silver Mylar balloons as a fun way to congratulate them on this big accomplishment. Imagine hundreds of balloons decorating mailboxes and front porches of WA seniors throughout town on graduation day. Balloons are just $6 each. An array of six balloons to the same address (ordered at the same time) is $30. The deadline to order balloons is THURSDAY, May 25, 2017. Go to http://wefweb.org/ for the balloon order form. Be sure to include the grads' names,
addresses, and your own personal note for each recipient, and WEF will take care of the rest. Balloons will be delivered the day before graduation. Questions? Contact Kelly Guthrie at email@example.com. Proceeds from balloon sales help WEF fund a wide variety of innovative educational and professional development grants for Westford schools, as well as two scholarships to graduating seniors majoring in education. The Westford Education Foundation is grateful for your support.
LAST NIGHT 2017
WA Last Night 2017 is the all-night, substance-free celebration for our Westford Academy graduating seniors, which will be held on Friday, June 2nd starting at 10pm. With almost 100% participation, Last Night is a highlight for WA graduates. It takes over 200 volunteers and many, many generous donors to make this evening a success. Parents of all students from K to 12, are encouraged to volunteer. For more information, please see the Last Night website at www.walastnight.org
- Donations can be made online at www.walastnight.org/donate or please send your contribution to: WA Last Night 2017, PO Box 4079, Westford, MA 01886. All gifts are tax-deductible.
- Last Night Needs Volunteers! Help is always needed at the event, but you can also volunteer before the event by assisting our amazing decorating team. To volunteer in any capacity, please contact Volunteer Coordinator Cindy McKeen at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can also sign up before the next Last Night meeting in the WA Lecture Hall (Room 144) on Wednesday, May 17th from 7 to 7:30pm.
- Attention SENIORS… Registration is now past due! Don't miss out on this wonderful night with your fellow graduates. Please mail your signed permission slip and contribution to WA Last Night 2017, PO Box 4079, Westford, MA 01886. Forms available at http://walastnight.org/for-parents Last Night volunteers will also be collecting permission slips and contributions before the senior parent Disney meeting on May 17th.
Community Compost Group
Westford Academy's new batch of 'Good Good Compost'~is ready to be screened and bagged, and we need your help to do it! ~Meet us on Saturday, June 3rd, from 9-1:00 PM at Westford Academy's compost bins, for a screening and bagging party ~ Bring your friends and family and join the fun of bringing premium, local compost to our community. ~Wear your garden or work gloves. Rain date is Sunday, June 4th, 9-1:00. Great opportunity for Community Service hours, bring your form for Sharon Chew to sign. For more information contact compost@SustainableWestford.org
Westford Farmers Market
Your favorite farmers market will be here before you know it! June 20th is Opening Day! On Tuesdays you can count on a reliable, robust and lively farmers market on the Town Common and meet and greet your friends and neighbors. Enjoy fresh air and sunshine, local fruits and veggies, meats, eggs and cheese. All locally made without preservatives and artificial anythings! Brought to you by our wonderful student volunteers! Now recruiting for this season's student volunteers - the only prerequisite is fun loving, responsible and outgoing! Please contact Gloria with your pertinent information at: info@SustainableWestford.org
SNAP Bonus Bucks Program
SNAP Bonus Bucks Program at the farmers market. Please help fight hunger in our community and neighboring towns and provide food for a child or the family. Your private donation gives to your neighbors in need and doubles their food allowance provided by SNAP (a Federal program; Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program) up to $25 if spent at our farmers market. 100% of your donation is used for SNAP recipients. Items available for SNAP purchases through this program are limited to fresh produce, protein and breads, seeds and dairy products. To donate and more information, cut and paste into your browser: http://sustainablewestford.org/snap-bonus-bucks/
Gloria Tu Gilbert, Founding Director of Sustainable Westford
Stay dry! Have a good weekend. Looks like next week the weather pattern is going to change!?! For the better we hope! Jim Antonelli